Welcome back to my blog, today I want to share an easy recipe for a cake that you can prepare for birthdays or parties to surprise your loved ones. Prepare your whisks and bowl and let’s start 😊
- 4 free-range eggs
- 225g/8oz caster sugar
- 225g/8oz self-raising flour
- 2 tbs baking powder
- 225g/8oz butter at room temperature
- Optional filling with apricot jam
- Raspberries or your favorite fruits to decorate at the end
- 200g dark chocolate (roughly chopped)
- 300ml double cream
- Preheat the oven to 180C and grease and line your 20cm/8in cake tin. Rub a little piece of butter around the inside of the tin until the sides and base are lightly coated.
- In a large mixing bowl, break the eggs, add sugar, flour, baking powder and butter. Mix everything together until well combined using either an electric hand mixer or a wooden spoon.
- Poor half of the mix in the first tin and gently smooth the surface of the cakes.
- Bake the cakes on the middle shelf of the oven for 25 minutes. Remember to check it after 20 minutes.They’ll be ready when they start to have a nice golden colour on top. Set aside to cool in their tins for 15 minutes.
- To assemble the cake, place one cake upside down onto a plate and spread it with plenty of apricot jam and top with the second cake, top-side up. Before doing this. I like to “pierce” the base of my cakes with a fork and use a few spoons of lemon syrup. To prepare this just add water and lemon juice in a small sauce pan (I avoid using other sugar in this case), and bring to boil. I use this syrup to brush both sides of the cake layers.
- Finally for the chocolate ganache you’ll need to roughly chop your dark chocolate bar. Heat the cream to below boiling point (make sure to remove the pan as soon as it start to boil!). Pour the cream on the chocolate and stir until even. Wait until the ganache cools to room temperature before using. And then work your magic, poor your mixture on top of the cake. You can use fresh fruit to make it even prettier, like with rasperries or stawberries…
et voilà! Enjoy this delicious cake with the rest of the family or friends 😊
Check my Youtube channel for delicious Italian recipies